Thursday, December 4, 2008

My favorite thing today:

I was working on some projects all day today, it was a very busy day for me. That means it wasn't so busy a day for Isabelle. It's not often she's got time to just play freely- to the point that she really gets into her play anyway. Also of note, her imaginary friends of late have been the Backyardigans. To hear her say it it's the "back-ard-agans" with "Pablo, Tyrone, Tasha, 'niqua and Awstin" and she's always calling them on the phone to come over and play, paint her house, whatever. Well today I was able to watch her undetected a few times. It's so incredible to see her pretending. That kind of play, when they move from banging and throwing to this purposeful and decisive play is awesome (not that there's less mess, mind you). Today she had a picnic with them all, I think that Diego and Dora might have been there too. They had napkins (tissues) and food (wooden), played games and had wonderful conversations. There was much discussion about painting the house (yeah, that one comes up allot... wonder if she just doesn't like the brown/tan thing we have going on?) and at the slightest sign of misbehavior by any of her friends' & the "time out corner" came up. This all lasted a good 30-45 minutes and would have gone on indefinitely, until she leaned back and rolled off the lay-z-boy foot rest backwards.

I think that's where she got the idea to play Doctor. Yeah, that's all well and good, since they ARE Imaginary friends and all, but for the marker. Then my child drew out a map of her skeletal system in black (thankfully washable) marker. Fun stuff.

So, my favorite thing today- is my child's gigantic imagination and her proficiency in using it- oh and washable markers.

No comments: